[Update: October 2016]
In November 2015, Elvet Striders introduced a membership limit of 400. This was reached almost immediately and a waiting list was introduced.
Currently we are running at maximum capacity but expect there to be fluctuations during the year. You may apply to go on our waiting list and can do so by emailing: email@example.com.
Once there is a vacancy in the club, the membership secretary will contact you to complete an application form and to advise you on how to pay the annual fees.
Unfortunately, it is no longer possible for non-members and those runners on the waiting list to train from Maiden Castle on Wednesdays. This is because of capacity at MC and the need for the club to offer safe and manageable training groups with sufficient people to lead them.
Membership of Elvet Striders costs £43 per year payable in March/April. Membership benefits include:
- Use of Maiden Castle car park, track, showers, facilities on a Wednesday.
- Club training sessions on Wednesday evenings from Maiden Castle.
- Also Monday nights at Maiden Castle commencing in 2016 for a significant part of the year.
- Affiliation to England Athletics.
- The right to represent us in competition.
- Registration and paid entry to regional and national competitions e.g. cross country leagues; club relays and Championship events.
- Subsidised social events such as the much-anticipated Christmas party.
- Subsidised travel to races.
- Bursaries for coaching courses and UKCC recognised courses for members who contribute to the running of the club.
If you are a staff member at the university, a student at the university or a member of Maiden Castle you may only need to pay £20 directly to the Striders. Please contact the membership secretary for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Once a member of Elvet Striders, you are then also a member of England Athletics, and qualify for the £2 reduction in race entry as well as other benefits. They will issue you with a registration number and Competition Licence. More details here.
More details of the benefits of becoming a member of Elvet Striders can be found below:
Members are encouraged to sign up to the club email list. This is a low volume e-list (2 or 3 messages a day) and is used for all important club announcements. To subscribe to the email list send a blank e-mail to email@example.com or visit the main Yahoo group page. If you are a member of Elvet Striders the membership secretary will approve your request.
If you have any questions about membership then please email the membership secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: To view the old web page summarising the membership situation, viz a viz Maiden Castle as it changed in 2010 click here.