The Grand Prix fixtures for the new (2015-16) season are as follows. The basic format is unchanged, with 4 categories, these being cross-country, fell, long (7m or over) and sprint (<7m), plus overall ‘Yellow Jersey’ winners. As per last year, the race selections have been made with a view to having races that are:
- easier to enter without having to plan months in advance;
- cheaper overall;
- where possible, supportive of races run by other clubs, MRTs etc as opposed to more ‘corporate’ races;
- enjoyable and varied, with a long list of races which can be rotated in and out of the programme over the years;
- testing, yet achievable (no ultras or any of the more extreme fell races are included).
Dates for fixtures in the New Year are a bit tentative at the moment, particularly those highlighted in red but will be firmed up as details are confirmed …
Tanfield Harrier League, Saturday 26th September
- The beginning of the XC season, with weather hopefully favourable and firm ground likely to lead to fast times and an advantage to the gazelles over the shirehorses.
Brampton to Carlisle, Sunday 15th November
- An old favourite and a good day out with Sunday roast on the way back if you take the coach. Fast and net downhill, so PB opportunity.
Druridge Bay Harrier League, Saturday 28th November
- New Harrier League venue …
- Details will appear here.
North-Eastern Cross-country Championships, Sedgefield, Saturday 12th December
- In the GP in place of the Durham fixture, not included so as to avoid penalising those who volunteer to marshall.
- Likely to be a foul, bleak December mud-fest – not far to travel, though.
Captain Cook’s, Friday 1st January
Brass Monkey Half Marathon, Sunday 17th January
Town Moor Harrier League, Saturday 13th February
- Rearranged from January, but then cancelled. The GP Committee have decided that at this stage of the season it would be unfair to substitute results from another XC race, so this year the Mud King and Queen titles will be decided over five races only. In future years, however, should this situation again arise, then the Sherman Cup/Davison Shield results will count in place of a missing fixture.
- As per Sedgefield, but in January and on a hill.
- Previous Years: Dec 2014 Jan 2010
Alnwick Harrier League, Saturday 5th March
Dentdale Run, Saturday 12th March
Wrekenton Harrier League, Saturday 19th March
Hartlepool Marina 5M, Sunday 3rd April
Durham parkrun, Saturday April 30th
Pier to Pier, Sunday 22nd May
Blaydon Race, Thursday 9th June
Alwinton Fell Race, Saturday 11th June
Cronkley Fell Race, Sunday 26th June
Saltwell Harriers Fell Race, Tuesday 5th July
Sunderland 5K, Wednesday 13th July
- First running of a non-parkrun 5K.
- Sunderland Harriers Website
Coastal Run, Sunday July 24th
Tees Pride 10K, Sunday 6th September
- Introduced in place of Blyth Valley 10K, due to date clash with Hartlepool Marina 5M
- Another flat PB ‘Sprint’ race.
Sedbergh Hills Fell Race, Sunday August 14th
Durham parkrun, Saturday August 27th
Simonside (Thropton Show), Saturday September 17th
Haltwhistle Half Marathon, Sunday September 25th
- No walking section this time, so a first GP running.
- Previous Years: 2014