Run Newcastle Valentines 10k, Newcastle Town Moor, Sunday, February 12, 2017

Robin Linton

Well what an awful day this was, wind, ice, sleet, rain, more wind. I don’t think many striders were in attendance but at the same time the race was pretty busy, around 614 people I think. Registration was 9:00-10:30am, seems a long time for people to register as the numbers were not sent out prior and with a race start time of 11am. To be honest there was a lot of waiting around, we got there early to park and I say we I mean my mam Helen Linton (Also a strider), my partner in crime (some would call her my partner) and a few work friends/friends.

The baggage drop was literally a ground sheet but did the job, can’t complain? Marshalls and staff were helpful and polite, parking wasn’t an issue but we were there early as last time I was at this course (The Mo run) parking was a nightmare.

So after standing around for over an hour in awful weather, I did a quick warm up and pushed my way as far forward as I could, probably a bit ambitious about 10 from the front but wanted that time badly. I was aiming for 46 minutes and seeing how I got on. David Hinton started ahead of me and I knew he was quicker from certain training sessions, didn’t even target him I thought it was a lost cause. Anyway the race started and I was swamped, I had prepped myself mentally for it, knew it was going to happen but I was running my own race, no one else’s. I was aiming for 7:15s ambitiously and the first mile was bang on. Before I knew it, unintentionally my legs were starting to get carried away, I had to slow them and look after my breathing but half way through mile 2, I was getting in a rhythm and finding that sweet equilibrium of effort and conservation.

5k came and went, gave myself a little maths lesson as it ticked through 10 slower than my 5k pace, started overthinking I have gone to fast, I’ve gone too fast. But just after mile 3, I could see David up a head, I told myself do not over work to get past and I didn’t, I sat at pace and didn’t alter one bit. 4 mile beeped on my Garmin as I went side to side with David, all I could think is please don’t come back at me, please. I just didn’t have any more to wind up with to defend that sweet first strider position, although my catching up was paced, once past I started getting quicker to the point I had to dab the brakes on a little as I started losing the rhythm and breathing. So thanks to David, for shaving some time off for men

Came up past the 9k mark where in the distance I could see my mam, yes on her second lap, on the pass back she had waited 30 seconds or so (we can minus it from her time) to take a photo of me head down, eyes forward and having a big talk with myself not to unload to early, obviously I got a big shout too. Last 400 meters, started unloading with everything I had, thought I had enough to dip under 44, I took 7-8 people with no flutters of resistance to go over the finish line. Chocolate and water followed along with another 2 miles cool down to shuttle back for the people I had booked up with and offer them morale support.

(Visited 47 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.